The Beltway Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wisconsin Outdoors...

3 posters

Go down

Wisconsin Outdoors... Empty Wisconsin Outdoors...

Post by Pale Rider Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:15 am

I'm trying to make myself feel as good as possible about moving back to Wisconsin... What a Face

This is a pretty good website about Wisconsin Outdoors.

Last edited by Pale Rider on Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 981
Registration date : 2008-07-25

https://thebeltwayforum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Wisconsin Outdoors... Empty Re: Wisconsin Outdoors...

Post by Pale Rider Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:41 pm

Here's a typical Wisconsin scene....

Wisconsin Outdoors... 2709469598_46eb5eb289_o
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Man Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:26 am

Any skiing up there?
Southern Man
Southern Man

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:25 pm

Southern Man wrote:Any skiing up there?

Oh yeah, lots of skiing.
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathianne Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:29 pm

Also the Dells, brats, beer, and cheddar. laugh2

Kathianne

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:57 pm

Kathianne wrote:Also the Dells, brats, beer, and cheddar. laugh2

I'll tell ya, I've been in Nevada for going on eight years now. Nevada itself is NOT a pretty state. It's just a lot of dirt. However up here where I'm at California is just a short drive away, and there's some of the prettiest country I've ever been in up there, i.e., Lake Tahoe. If I was rich, that's where I'd live. But, I'm looking forward to seeing Wisconsin again. In it's own way it's also a pretty state. I do like all the lakes and streams in Wisconsin. I do like the water. That was the one saving grace of Tampa, Florida when I lived there. It was on the Gulf of Mexico, and I did like the beach.
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathianne Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:30 pm

Pale Rider wrote:

I'll tell ya, I've been in Nevada for going on eight years now. Nevada itself is NOT a pretty state. It's just a lot of dirt. However up here where I'm at California is just a short drive away, and there's some of the prettiest country I've ever been in up there, i.e., Lake Tahoe. If I was rich, that's where I'd live. But, I'm looking forward to seeing Wisconsin again. In it's own way it's also a pretty state. I do like all the lakes and streams in Wisconsin. I do like the water. That was the one saving grace of Tampa, Florida when I lived there. It was on the Gulf of Mexico, and I did like the beach.
I too think WI is a pretty state, but mind you I'm from Illinois. If it weren't for Chicago and Abe Lincoln, well we'd only have soybeans and corn. jester

Kathianne

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Man Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:37 pm

I keep think of those disaster movies with the 1500' tall tsunamis from an asteroid hit and I'm glad that I live far inland and have a place in the mountains that I can hole up while the rest of mankind drowns, burns, or riots.
Southern Man
Southern Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:03 pm

Kathianne wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:

I too think WI is a pretty state, but mind you I'm from Illinois. If it weren't for Chicago and Abe Lincoln, well we'd only have soybeans and corn. jester

You've got a little chuck of Lake Michigan too... really
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:07 pm

Southern Man wrote:I keep think of those disaster movies with the 1500' tall tsunamis from an asteroid hit and I'm glad that I live far inland and have a place in the mountains that I can hole up while the rest of mankind drowns, burns, or riots.

And that's one good thing about where I'm going back in Wisconsin. I'll have my own water well, my own sewer, my own garden, and every kind of critter there is wandering through my property. So if there was a major catastrophe hit, I'd be virtually self sufficient. All I'll have to do is get myself another nice generator, which I am planning on doing. A diesel, that I'll hook into the houses service entrance, and big enough to power the whole place in the case of a power failure.
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Man Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:09 pm

Yeah just haul down to the corner station and get some more diesel fuel, right? popworm
Southern Man
Southern Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:27 pm

Southern Man wrote:Yeah just haul down to the corner station and get some more diesel fuel, right? popworm

I plan on having probably about a hundred gallon tank and put it in the garage. So if it got extremely cold I could heat the fuel with the wood stove in the garage.
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Man Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:36 pm

Get at least a 1000 gallon buried tank, and buy a hand crank pump to fill up your truck with tax free fuel.
Southern Man
Southern Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:50 pm

Southern Man wrote:Get at least a 1000 gallon buried tank, and buy a hand crank pump to fill up your truck with tax free fuel.

Not a bad idea... hmmm
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Man Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:07 pm

That's it, not bad? Why you ingrate....
Southern Man
Southern Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:14 pm

Southern Man wrote:That's it, not bad? Why you ingrate....
If they make plastic ones. I don't think I'd want to bury a metal tank. I've seen too many of those begin to rust and have to be dug up along with half your property because the soil is contaminated. They can also make it all but impossible to sell your property... if there's a problem with it.
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Man Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:25 pm

Plastic ones crush or crack and then you’ve got a bigger problem. Get a double walled steel one. The coatings are about 20 mils thick, plus they have zinc or aluminum anodes for cathodic protection. There is a space between the two layers that you monitor either with a stick or electronically. If you get fuel in there, then the inner tank is shot. If water, then the outer tank rusted out. Either way you’ve got plenty of time to get it pumped out and replaced. It will probably outlast you though.

OK now, time to pay homage....
Southern Man
Southern Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:30 pm

Southern Man wrote:Plastic ones crush or crack and then you’ve got a bigger problem. Get a double walled steel one. The coatings are about 20 mils thick, plus they have zinc or aluminum anodes for cathodic protection. There is a space between the two layers that you monitor either with a stick or electronically. If you get fuel in there, then the inner tank is shot. If water, then the outer tank rusted out. Either way you’ve got plenty of time to get it pumped out and replaced. It will probably outlast you though.

OK now, time to pay homage....
I've dug up to pump out plenty of plastic septic tanks. Never seen one cracked or crushed. Just as long as it's full, there's really no way they could cave in. They were all at least a good quarter of an inch thick and tougher than hell. However, a double walled tank isn't bad either, and you're right, it would probably outlast me. Got any idea on prices?

Pay homage for what and to whom? laugh2
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathianne Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:43 pm

Pale Rider wrote:
Kathianne wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:

You've got a little chuck of Lake Michigan too... really
Ah the Lake, how could I forget it?

Kathianne

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Man Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:01 pm

Pale Rider wrote:
I've dug up to pump out plenty of plastic septic tanks. Never seen one cracked or crushed. Just as long as it's full, there's really no way they could cave in. They were all at least a good quarter of an inch thick and tougher than hell. However, a double walled tank isn't bad either, and you're right, it would probably outlast me. Got any idea on prices?

I used to design fueling stations for municipalities abot 15 years ago when the double walled tanks first started to be used. They are not at all like septic tanks since those are always full except for a week every three years when they get pumped out. We evaluated fiberglass and steel and even at a municipal garage next to where they store salt we ended up specifying steel. I saw too many photographs of broken fiberglass tanks.
Southern Man
Southern Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:14 pm

Southern Man wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:

I used to design fueling stations for municipalities abot 15 years ago when the double walled tanks first started to be used. They are not at all like septic tanks since those are always full except for a week every three years when they get pumped out. We evaluated fiberglass and steel and even at a municipal garage next to where they store salt we ended up specifying steel. I saw too many photographs of broken fiberglass tanks.

Well, as a back up generator fuel tank, it would also be full 99.9% of the time. It would only get fuel run out of it when the generator was needed or ran for maintenance checks. But double walled steel sounds good, with a fuel level senor. Probably capacitive like we had in the jets.
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum