The Beltway Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can You Spot Phishing?

3 posters

Go down

Can You Spot Phishing? Empty Can You Spot Phishing?

Post by Pale Rider Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:02 pm

I got an email that looked like an email from Paypal saying there had been suspicious activity on my account card, when I don't have an account card, and that if I didn't follow this link and log in and confirm my information, they'd suspend my account. Well I knew this was bull shit. I've seen these emails before. I almost fell for it the first time. Thing is, these emails LOOK real but they're NOT. It's "PHISHING."

So I forwarded it to Paypal and they reported back to me that was in fact phishing... a fake... a scam email, and that there's a little test they put together to see how well you can spot a phishing/fake/scam email.

Take the test, see how you do... https://www.paypal.com/fightphishing
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 981
Registration date : 2008-07-25

https://thebeltwayforum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Can You Spot Phishing? Empty Re: Can You Spot Phishing?

Post by Noir Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:45 pm

5/5 I'm an anti-phishing champion ^.^
Good find pale, I'm sure there are many people who would be hundres of pounds better off if they'd have takin this test before being phished, paypal should make taking that test part of the registration process, to enlighten users who may simply be niave to the concept of phishing.
Noir
Noir

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:15 pm

Noir wrote:5/5 I'm an anti-phishing champion ^.^
Good find pale, I'm sure there are many people who would be hundres of pounds better off if they'd have takin this test before being phished, paypal should make taking that test part of the registration process, to enlighten users who may simply be niave to the concept of phishing.

That's a great idea. Instead of giving the test after the fact, have account holders take it when they sign up. Good idea man. Send them an email... head banger
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by namvet Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:18 pm

most are obvious. I used to get those emails from some unknowns saying they need help in return ill make millions. it came from africa. they actually have a call center up and running for these scams. I also get em from credit cards. just fwd them to:

spam@uce.gov
namvet
namvet

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:17 am

namvet wrote:most are obvious. I used to get those emails from some unknowns saying they need help in return ill make millions. it came from africa. they actually have a call center up and running for these scams. I also get em from credit cards. just fwd them to:

spam@uce.gov

I've probably gotten HUNDREDS of these MORONIC emails from somewhere in Africa, asking for all your personal information so they can deposit some OUTRAGEOUS amount of money in my bank account. I always email them back saying I have too much money, and for them to send me all their personal information so I can deposit some of my money in their bank account. No takers yet... laugh1
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by namvet Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:09 am

Pale Rider wrote:
namvet wrote:most are obvious. I used to get those emails from some unknowns saying they need help in return ill make millions. it came from africa. they actually have a call center up and running for these scams. I also get em from credit cards. just fwd them to:

spam@uce.gov

I've probably gotten HUNDREDS of these MORONIC emails from somewhere in Africa, asking for all your personal information so they can deposit some OUTRAGEOUS amount of money in my bank account. I always email them back saying I have too much money, and for them to send me all their personal information so I can deposit some of my money in their bank account. No takers yet... laugh1

typical:
We wish to notify you again that you were listed as a beneficiary to the total sum of 10,600,000.00GBP (Ten Million Six Hundred Thousand British Pounds) in the codicil and last testament of the deceased. (Name now withheld since this is our second letter to you). We contacted you because you bear the surname identity and therefore can present you as the beneficiary to the inheritance.

We therefore reckoned that you could receive these funds as you are qualified by your name identity. All the legal papers will be processed in your acceptance. In your acceptance of this deal, we request that you kindly forward to us your letter of acceptance; your current telephone and fax numbers and a forwarding address to enable us file necessary documents at our high court probate division for the release of this sum of money.

Please contact me via my private email so that we can get this done immediately.

Kind regards,
BRIAN WALTERS

ive actually had people call me on the phone and ask me is this for real. I got these day and night. then I sent em all to the gov spam and that was it. no more.
namvet
namvet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:16 am

I got another one this morning. I sent it to that email address you listed.

Thanks for posting that namvet... cheers
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by namvet Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:49 am

Pale Rider wrote:I got another one this morning. I sent it to that email address you listed.

no problem pal. my public service for the day !!!!

im more afraid of keyloggers. I have a good security system. but those fucks can actually "see" what your typing. anytime i enter a username and password im watching that browser real close. if I see the word "redirect" appear I know there's one on my system.
namvet
namvet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:13 am

namvet wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:I got another one this morning. I sent it to that email address you listed.

im more afraid of keyloggers. I have a good security system. but those fucks can actually "see" what your typing. anytime i enter a username and password im watching that browser real close. if I see the word "redirect" appear I know there's one on my system.

I try and remember to update my Norton antivirus and my Webroot Spyware *EVERY DAY*, because the hackers are working on their crap every day. You can't be TOO CAREFUL when you're on the internet.
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by namvet Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:25 am

Pale Rider wrote:
namvet wrote:

I try and remember to update my Norton antivirus and my Webroot Spyware *EVERY DAY*, because the hackers are working on their crap every day. You can't be TOO CAREFUL when you're on the internet.

and I have cable broadband. so im on it all the time. I also added an active registry monitor as well.
namvet
namvet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:32 am

namvet wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:
namvet wrote:

and I have cable broadband. so im on it all the time. I also added an active registry monitor as well.

I have cable as well. Wouldn't have anything else. Used to have Zone Alarm firewall and I could lock the internet so no data transfer would occur. But my windows firewall does basically the same thing so I deleted it. If anything tries to hack my computer, my Norton picks it up. If anything tries to install itself like a keycounter, my Webroot spyware picks it up. I think I'm pretty safe, but that's why my computer usually runs like a top, and it's going on three years old.

Last edited by Pale Rider on Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by namvet Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:52 am

I had Norton for serval years. but i kept hearing bad things about it. so I recently picked up an AVG fee based system. no windows PC is always safe..........
namvet
namvet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:13 am

namvet wrote:I had Norton for serval years. but i kept hearing bad things about it. so I recently picked up an AVG fee based system. no windows PC is always safe..........

I used to have McAfee on my old computer, and never really noticed anything bad about that. I heard Norton can make your computer run slow, so instead of renewing it the last time I tried something else that was supposed to be the latest and greatest, and it was even cheaper. What a load of shit that was. It kept locking up my computer and had a real convoluted menu plus the customer service sucked. So, I reinstalled the new Norton and I'm real happy with it. I've never noticed it slowing down my computer either. I think that's bull shit.
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by namvet Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:28 am

Pale Rider wrote:
namvet wrote:I had Norton for serval years. but i kept hearing bad things about it. so I recently picked up an AVG fee based system. no windows PC is always safe..........

I used to have McAfee on my old computer, and never really noticed anything bad about that. I heard Norton can make your computer run slow, so instead of renewing it the last time I tried something else that was supposed to be the latest and greatest, and it was even cheaper. What a load of shit that was. It kept locking up my computer and had a real convoluted menu plus the customer service sucked. So, I reinstalled the new Norton and I'm real happy with it. I've never noticed it slowing down my computer either. I think that's bull shit.

I never could get Mcafee to work, it locked mine up. the norton took a lot of resources when it ran. and it never found anything but a harmless cookie. so im trying something new. AVG scans in the background and does not take a lot of resources. you do have to look at what runs best with your system. I also added sypware doctor. how safe is safe????? shit beat outta me !!!!!!!!
namvet
namvet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:34 pm

I think if you have a good spyware and antivirus program and you keep them up to date, you're about as safe as you need to be.

Last edited by Pale Rider on Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Noir Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:09 pm

I don't bother with any anti-virus programs or anything like that, aslong as you keep your wits about you your computer/laptop will be fine, I've had my own laptop for over 4 years and have never had any problems.
Noir
Noir

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:17 pm

Noir wrote:I don't bother with any anti-virus programs or anything like that, aslong as you keep your wits about you your computer/laptop will be fine, I've had my own laptop for over 4 years and have never had any problems.

Well I'll tell ya what pard, if you installed an antivirus and/or spyware program and ran it, I'd bet you a hundred to one it would find tons of crap on your computer.

But, if not having any is working for you and your stuff is working good enough, oh well. That's cool.
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Noir Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:36 pm

ofcourse they would tell me I have countless problems, but they'd want me to think my computer is being overrun so I'll buy their software. I know there's quiet a bit of risk involved but I regularly check my performence to make sure alls runnin well. And when something does go wrong someday (as it prob will) I shall not be too worried cus at £40 a year I've already saved £160, and my virus software my not have been able to deal with the virus anyway, so here's to my continuing luck.
Noir
Noir

Back to top Go down

Post by namvet Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:42 pm

the best place to get this stuf is download.com or Cnet. or I should say the most reliable. spyware software can be a scam. some of it actually installs spyware. no shit for real. many others give you this free trial crap. ok. so you run it and it finds elevated spyware. all kinds of problems. but you can't fix it without buying the program. you buy. run the program. "no spyware found" what a fuckin' rip off......................
namvet
namvet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:49 pm

Noir wrote:ofcourse they would tell me I have countless problems, but they'd want me to think my computer is being overrun so I'll buy their software. I know there's quiet a bit of risk involved but I regularly check my performence to make sure alls runnin well. And when something does go wrong someday (as it prob will) I shall not be too worried cus at £40 a year I've already saved £160, and my virus software my not have been able to deal with the virus anyway, so here's to my continuing luck.

Download a trial version of Norton or something and then hack it. Ooops... was that my outside voice? laugh1
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by namvet Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:55 pm

Pale Rider wrote:
Noir wrote:ofcourse they would tell me I have countless problems, but they'd want me to think my computer is being overrun so I'll buy their software. I know there's quiet a bit of risk involved but I regularly check my performence to make sure alls runnin well. And when something does go wrong someday (as it prob will) I shall not be too worried cus at £40 a year I've already saved £160, and my virus software my not have been able to deal with the virus anyway, so here's to my continuing luck.

Download a trial version of Norton or something and then hack it. Ooops... was that my outside voice? laugh1

you can. online test I just did. and I got an alert from my security system.............
namvet
namvet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum