The Beltway Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Army star told to go to work

4 posters

Go down

Army star told to go to work Empty Army star told to go to work

Post by King Leonidas Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:44 am

From Jamie McIntyre
CNN Pentagon Correspondent

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Being drafted by a professional sports team is a dream of almost every college athlete, but, in a time of war, the Pentagon has decided duty should come before athletic glory for officers graduating from the nation's military academies.

Lt. Caleb Campbell will not be allowed to pursue his NFL dreams this year, the Army announced this week.

1 of 2 A few months ago, the Army didn't feel that way. It granted Army 2nd Lt. Caleb Campbell, who had been taken by the Detroit Lions in the first round of the NFL draft, permission to pursue his dream of becoming a professional football player.

The Army had initially said Campbell, a football standout who played for the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, could fulfill his military obligation by serving two years as a recruiter in his spare time. Academy graduates are usually required to serve five years.

"You don't really every year get someone from the military academy pursuing their NFL dreams and having a legit shot at the NFL," the West Point graduate said.

But after a much publicized difference in policy between the Army and other services, Campbell's NFL dreams have been put on hold. The wartime exception for Campbell -- essentially his ticket out of joining the fight in Iraq -- rubbed many in the military the wrong way.

On Wednesday, the Army sent a letter to the Detroit Lions informing them that a change in Army policy means Campbell would have to cease getting ready to play for the football team.

Don't Miss
The Army's letter to the Lions (PDF)
"Campbell has been directed to cease full-time participation in professional football to perform full-time traditional military duties," Army Adjutant General Lt. Col Jonathan Liba wrote to the Lions.

The letter said Campbell could apply for release from active duty obligations in two years.

The Army said in a statement that Campbell deserved the recognition for his football career, but must wait to play.

"He is an outstanding athlete who displayed the dedication, determination and discipline required of a champion. He has the qualities we expect of our leaders, and is the kind of leader our soldiers deserve," the Army said.

"This action was taken to uniformly apply military service obligations for all members of the U.S. Army," the Army said.

It was a decision that brought Campbell to tears, he told Michigan newspaper The Oakland Press.

"Oh yeah, I cried, because I wanted a shot," Campbell told the paper as he entered the Lions training facility. "I mean, like I said, I had the best of both worlds. It was a fun ride, it really was. To play with the best in the nation. But yeah, I was definitely upset that it was over. You know what, I got another job ahead of me that I'm really excited about, so I'm taking it with a smile."

Campbell told the Oakland Press that his first duty is to work as a graduate assistant football coach at West Point before reporting next year for officer training before being deployed.

Campbell acknowledged when he was drafted that he had mixed feelings about the possibility of getting the exception.

"Part of you wants to be there next to them because you've been by their side for the last five years. ... But then you have to look out for yourself," Campbell said. "I love to play football."

The issue came to a head when the Navy ordered Ensign Mitch Harris, whose blazing fastball and stellar strikeout record got the U.S. Naval Academy pitcher drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals, to put his Major League dreams on hold and report for duty aboard the amphibious transport dock USS Ponce.

The Navy is requiring Harris to serve his full five-year commitment, which he started when he reported for duty in mid-June in Norfolk, Virginia.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/25/academy.athletes/index.html

King Leonidas

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Army star told to go to work Empty Re: Army star told to go to work

Post by King Leonidas Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:45 am

He cried, wehat a baby. Roger Staubach did okay after fulfilling his Navy obligation. And that wasn't even during a war. I think this guy can go and do his duty to pay us back for the education he got FOR FREE!

King Leonidas

Number of posts : 207

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:32 am

King Leonidas wrote:He cried, wehat a baby. Roger Staubach did okay after fulfilling his Navy obligation. And that wasn't even during a war. I think this guy can go and do his duty to pay us back for the education he got FOR FREE!

Yup....

The wartime exception for Campbell -- essentially his ticket out of joining the fight in Iraq -- rubbed many in the military the wrong way.

Shut the fuck up and get to work, like the hundreds of thousands of us did before you... without whining.
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 981

https://thebeltwayforum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by theironlady Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:25 am

Pretty sad when Pat Tillman gave up millions and this guy...Well lets just say he is a loser.

theironlady

Number of posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post by Noir Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:21 pm

seems a bit of a 'rard, why would you join the millitery if you knew your passion was to be an NFL player?
Noir
Noir

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:02 pm

Noir wrote:seems a bit of a 'rard, why would you join the millitery if you knew your passion was to be an NFL player?

Patriotism, duty, honor, love of country... any of that ring a bell with you?
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Noir Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:48 pm

well if he has such a love for his country then he shouldn't mind leaving behind his footballing prospects, and should feel honoured that he can serve his country, that doesn't seem to co e through in the storey. Edit- sorry apon rereadig I have seen that he is happy to go serve his country, which was not the impression I got from reading the replies, seems I'm the 'rard
Noir
Noir

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:26 pm

Noir wrote:well if he has such a love for his country then he shouldn't mind leaving behind his footballing prospects, and should feel honoured that he can serve his country, that doesn't seem to co e through in the storey. Edit- sorry apon rereadig I have seen that he is happy to go serve his country, which was not the impression I got from reading the replies, seems I'm the 'rard

Correct me if I'm wrong but, is 'rard short for "retard?"
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Noir Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:15 am

Pale Rider wrote:
Noir wrote:well if he has such a love for his country then he shouldn't mind leaving behind his footballing prospects, and should feel honoured that he can serve his country, that doesn't seem to co e through in the storey. Edit- sorry apon rereadig I have seen that he is happy to go serve his country, which was not the impression I got from reading the replies, seems I'm the 'rard

Correct me if I'm wrong but, is 'rard short for "retard?"

No correction needed, ya are spot on.
Noir
Noir

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down