The Beltway Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fairness Doctrine Might Involve Control of Web

2 posters

Go down

Fairness Doctrine Might Involve Control of Web Empty Fairness Doctrine Might Involve Control of Web

Post by red states rule Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:24 am

This has been said before with the Fairness Doctrine. The left does want to silence any and all disenting voices, and this is how they will try

First it will be talk radio

Then TV networks

Then they will go after the internet

FCC Commissioner: Return of Fairness Doctrine Could Control Web Content
McDowell warns reinstated powers could play in net neutrality debate, lead to government requiring balance on Web sites

By Jeff Poor
Business & Media Institute
8/13/2008 9:08:51 AM

There’s a huge concern among conservative talk radio hosts that reinstatement of the Fairness Doctrine would all-but destroy the industry due to equal time constraints. But speech limits might not stop at radio. They could even be extended to include the Internet and “government dictating content policy.”

FCC Commissioner Robert McDowell raised that as a possibility after talking with bloggers at the Heritage Foundation in Washington, D.C. McDowell spoke about a recent FCC vote to bar Comcast from engaging in certain Internet practices – expanding the federal agency’s oversight of Internet networks.

The commissioner, a 2006 President Bush appointee, told the Business & Media Institute the Fairness Doctrine could be intertwined with the net neutrality battle. The result might end with the government regulating content on the Web, he warned. McDowell, who was against reprimanding Comcast, said the net neutrality effort could win the support of “a few isolated conservatives” who may not fully realize the long-term effects of government regulation.

“I think the fear is that somehow large corporations will censor their content, their points of view, right,” McDowell said. “I think the bigger concern for them should be if you have government dictating content policy, which by the way would have a big First Amendment problem.”

“Then, whoever is in charge of government is going to determine what is fair, under a so-called ‘Fairness Doctrine,’ which won’t be called that – it’ll be called something else,” McDowell said. “So, will Web sites, will bloggers have to give equal time or equal space on their Web site to opposing views rather than letting the marketplace of ideas determine that?”

McDowell told BMI the Fairness Doctrine isn’t currently on the FCC’s radar. But a new administration and Congress elected in 2008 might renew Fairness Doctrine efforts, but under another name.

http://businessandmedia.org/articles/2008/20080812160747.aspx
red states rule
red states rule

Number of posts : 772
Location : Fairness Doctrine Might Involve Control of Web Us10
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Back to top Go down

Fairness Doctrine Might Involve Control of Web Empty Re: Fairness Doctrine Might Involve Control of Web

Post by Pale Rider Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:29 am

I'll say it again.... "CIVIL WAR."

Our government is getting out of hand.
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 981
Registration date : 2008-07-25

https://thebeltwayforum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Fairness Doctrine Might Involve Control of Web Empty Re: Fairness Doctrine Might Involve Control of Web

Post by red states rule Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:31 am

Pale Rider wrote:I'll say it again.... "CIVIL WAR."

Our government is getting out of hand.

I can see Presdient Obama signing the order to shut this board down
red states rule
red states rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:05 am

I'll be a one man Civil War if he does.
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 981
Registration date : 2008-07-25

https://thebeltwayforum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by red states rule Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:58 am

Pale Rider wrote:I'll be a one man Civil War if he does.

I would think you have some allies, You would not be going at it alone
red states rule
red states rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down