The Beltway Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dangerous Times In Georgia Demand Serious Leadership

4 posters

Go down

Dangerous Times In Georgia Demand Serious Leadership Empty Dangerous Times In Georgia Demand Serious Leadership

Post by red states rule Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:56 am

Fred Thompson is 100% correect, and Obama is NOT the leadership we need

Unless you want the bad guys to win

Dangerous Times In Georgia Demand Serious Leadership
by Fred Thompson

My mind goes back to August 2002 in Tbilisi, as I visited Georgia with John McCain. I remember it feeling rather dark and secretive, with the former-Soviet Union’s heavy hand still making its presence felt. President Eduard Shevardnadze, formerly Soviet minister of foreign affairs, presented a friendlier face to the United States, but was beset by economic problems and corruption charges. At the time I did not fully appreciate the power of the democratic impulses that were just beginning to bubble up and would lead to the democratic Georgian government we now see threatened.

What has happened in Georgia since that time should not be surprising to anyone. Certainly Russia has tried to pretty itself up: it renamed the KGB and even gave its 21st century strongman Vladimir Putin a new title.

But for some time we’ve seen Russia sliding back to its authoritarian comfort zone. Murder, imprisonment and property confiscation are back in vogue for any perceived troublemaker. Former Soviet provinces have faced all forms of intimidation, from thuggish trade shakedowns to cyber attacks that shut down communications with the outside world. And whether a former satellite like Poland or a longtime western ally like Germany, Russia has made overt threats over plans to bring eastern European countries into NATO or to deploy a U.S.-provided missile defense system.

Russia is not above using anything at its disposal to make its point. It is a wealthy nation, built on a petro-economy that provides oil and gas to dependent European nations, which are petrified of having their energy supplies disrupted and are now in their own economic doldrums.

Given all this, Russia’s incursion into Georgia is a logical extension of Putin’s autocratic words and deeds and Russia’s regional ambitions, which must be leaving those nations closest to Russia’s borders – the Baltic states and Ukraine – nervous about a bitter and uneasy winter.

All the while, in Eastern Europe some of America’s staunchest friends are watching to see what the reaction of the U.S. and the west will be to Russia’s latest gambit. The U.S. and others use the word “unacceptable,” undoubtedly with the same effect that we get when we use it with the Iranians. So do we threaten Russia with denial of the membership in the World Trade Organization that it so covets? Do we expedite Georgia and the Ukraine’s entry into NATO? Do we cut off the tens of millions that we send into Russia to – hopefully – provide for security of nuclear materials? Everything should be on the table.

http://townhall.com/Columnists/FredThompson/2008/08/14/dangerous_times_in_georgia_demand_serious_leadership
red states rule
red states rule

Number of posts : 772
Location : Dangerous Times In Georgia Demand Serious Leadership Us10
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Back to top Go down

Dangerous Times In Georgia Demand Serious Leadership Empty Re: Dangerous Times In Georgia Demand Serious Leadership

Post by Kathianne Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:48 am

red states rule wrote:Fred Thompson is 100% correect, and Obama is NOT the leadership we need

http://townhall.com/Columnists/FredThompson/2008/08/14/dangerous_times_in_georgia_demand_serious_leadership

Georgia being the most recent. There's finishing up Iraq, Afghanistan, problems with Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, North Korea, not too mention SCOTUS apointments.

While I'm not thrilled with John McCain for all of the above I know the country has a better shot with him than Obama.

Kathianne

Number of posts : 29

Back to top Go down

Dangerous Times In Georgia Demand Serious Leadership Empty Re: Dangerous Times In Georgia Demand Serious Leadership

Post by red states rule Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:09 am

Kathianne wrote:
red states rule wrote:Fred Thompson is 100% correect, and Obama is NOT the leadership we need

Georgia being the most recent. There's finishing up Iraq, Afghanistan, problems with Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, North Korea, not too mention SCOTUS apointments.

While I'm not thrilled with John McCain for all of the above I know the country has a better shot with him than Obama.

With Obama, the only security will be is how the terrorists will feel if he is elected
red states rule
red states rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:36 am

The world is a dangerous place, and our military is stretched dangerously thin as it is... all the more reason in support of my opinion, we need a draft. Our military should be twice the size it is now.
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 981
Registration date : 2008-07-25

https://thebeltwayforum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by red states rule Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:38 am

Pale Rider wrote:The world is a dangerous place, and our military is stretched dangerously thin as it is... all the more reason in support of my opinion, we need a draft. Our military should be twice the size it is now.

Yea we could even call MFM back into service

Oh, you want us to win right?

Forget my suggestion
red states rule
red states rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:54 am

red states rule wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:The world is a dangerous place, and our military is stretched dangerously thin as it is... all the more reason in support of my opinion, we need a draft. Our military should be twice the size it is now.

Forget my suggestion

Seriously, I do NOT believe that ass wad was ever an officer. Maybe he was in the Navy for a brief time, but I picture that lying sack of shit with a mop in his hands swabbing a deck, not giving orders.
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by red states rule Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:06 am

Pale Rider wrote:
red states rule wrote:

Forget my suggestion

Seriously, I do NOT believe that ass wad was ever an officer. Maybe he was in the Navy for a brief time, but I picture that lying sack of shit with a mop in his hands swabbing a deck, not giving orders.

Pale, he would not know which end of the mop that goes on the deck laugh point up
red states rule
red states rule

Back to top Go down

Post by King Leonidas Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:56 pm

I think we should send some Marines to Georgia with a fighter wing to provide air cover. If the Russians want to find, shouldn't take more then that to fuck them up. Their military is in far worse shape then ours because of corruption, cuts, and piss poor equipment.

King Leonidas

Number of posts : 207

Back to top Go down

Post by red states rule Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:04 am

This whole thing reminds me of the Cuban missile crisis...politically anyway.
Who will stand up to Russia at this point? Not Oboma and not until Nov.

They have caught the west with their pants down...IMO. Perfect timing on their part
red states rule
red states rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:19 am

red states rule wrote:This whole thing reminds me of the Cuban missile crisis...politically anyway.

They have caught the west with their pants down...IMO. Perfect timing on their part

Yes they have. Because we DON'T HAVE the resources to go fight them. We DON'T HAVE the resources to go fight ANYBODY right now. Practically EVERYTHING WE'VE GOT is tied up in the middle east, and even that is stretched thin. Military commanders have been warning bush of that for YEARS now, and Russia knows it.
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by red states rule Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:36 am

Pale Rider wrote:
red states rule wrote:This whole thing reminds me of the Cuban missile crisis...politically anyway.

Yes they have. Because we DON'T HAVE the resources to go fight them. We DON'T HAVE the resources to go fight ANYBODY right now. Practically EVERYTHING WE'VE GOT is tied up in the middle east, and even that is stretched thin. Military commanders have been warning bush of that for YEARS now, and Russia knows it.

and they know the left wil blame Pres Bush for the attack

They know if Obama gets in they will have a free pass to do what they damn well please
red states rule
red states rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:49 pm

Every thug in the world is hoping hussein gets elected. They're even sending him campaign contributions.
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by red states rule Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:06 pm

Pale Rider wrote:Every thug in the world is hoping hussein gets elected. They're even sending him campaign contributions.

and the liberal media yawns, and blames Pres Bush for Russia attacking Georgia
red states rule
red states rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down