The Beltway Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kick-Ass Death Ray on the Way, Uses Antimatter

3 posters

Go down

Kick-Ass Death Ray on the Way, Uses Antimatter Empty Kick-Ass Death Ray on the Way, Uses Antimatter

Post by Pale Rider Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:19 am

Kick-Ass Death Ray on the Way, Uses Antimatter

Those mad scientists are at it again. David Cassidy and Allen Mills, a couple of propellerheads at the University of California, Riverside are using the stuff of science fiction, antimatter, to create gamma ray lasers they say could be a million times more powerful than the lasers we're using to watch Blu-ray discs. It's done by creating an atom called positronium that contains otherwise unstable antimatter particles that are the opposite of electrons, called positrons. This is where things start getting interesting, paving the way to a mofo laser.

When you can magically combine two of those positronium suckers, you get a molecule that sounds like it's made by Sony, called PS2. When PS2 decays, that's when super-powerful bursts of those awesome gamma rays are released, capable of smacking down anything in sight. So this must be that all-powerful and dangerous ray gun running through science fiction stories for the past 100 years. Or is it more like a phaser? Either way, yeah, it's all working with positronium. We're not making this up.

Story here...

And more here...
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 981
Location : Kick-Ass Death Ray on the Way, Uses Antimatter Us10
Registration date : 2008-07-25

https://thebeltwayforum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Kick-Ass Death Ray on the Way, Uses Antimatter Empty Re: Kick-Ass Death Ray on the Way, Uses Antimatter

Post by King Leonidas Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:03 pm

Sounds interesting. Isn't funny how people watch movies and tv and then come up with ideas to make things work like that? Look at Star Trek with the communicators. Now we have those that are even smaller then the ones used in the show.

King Leonidas

Number of posts : 207

Back to top Go down

Kick-Ass Death Ray on the Way, Uses Antimatter Empty Re: Kick-Ass Death Ray on the Way, Uses Antimatter

Post by Pale Rider Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:14 pm

I'll be impressed when they can stop the aging process. Course I don't think I'd want that anyway. I want to go to heaven, and that sure ain't what's happening here on earth.
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Noir Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:47 pm

I do hope this is just some ramblings of fools rather than true, as gamma rays are very hard to stop. I.e if you fired them at a person they would pass through them, and the person behind them...and the building behind them ... So I don't see quiet how these could be controled, then again what do I know
Noir
Noir

Number of posts : 122
Location : Kick-Ass Death Ray on the Way, Uses Antimatter Gb10
Registration date : 2008-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:29 am

Noir wrote:I do hope this is just some ramblings of fools rather than true, as gamma rays are very hard to stop. I.e if you fired them at a person they would pass through them, and the person behind them...and the building behind them ... So I don't see quiet how these could be controled, then again what do I know

Magnetically.
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Noir Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:47 pm

as gamma rays are part of the electro magnetic spectrum are they are not affected by magnetic fields. Though I'm not certain about that, I think it's right.
Noir
Noir

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:26 pm

That's what I'm sayin'. I do believe gamma rays can not only be controlled by a magnetic field, they can be "bent" as well.
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Noir Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:10 pm

what I am saying is I think they can't be controlled by magnitsm, because they are part if the electro magnetic spectrum, as as is visable light, and no amount of magnitism can bend visable light, let alone control it, I assume the same would apply to gamma rays.

The only why to bend visable light is by passing it through 2 media, where one is denser than the other, I.e. Air into glass, whereby the light will be bent towards the 'normal' (unless the lights enters at a 90 degree angle, inwgich case it will remain unaffected). I'm not sure if changing media also bends gamma rays, but I am pretty certain that gamma rays can not be bent using magnets.
Noir
Noir

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:48 am

I can't say for sure... but I'm going to try and find out.
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down