The Beltway Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stewart To Use Foyt's No. 14 For Next Season

2 posters

Go down

Stewart To Use Foyt's No. 14 For Next Season Empty Stewart To Use Foyt's No. 14 For Next Season

Post by Pale Rider Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:45 pm

Stewart To Use Foyt's No. 14 For Next Season

Friday, July 25, 2008 10:56 PM EDT
The Associated Press
By JENNA FRYER AP Auto Racing Writer

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Tony Stewart has spent his entire career emulating A.J. Foyt, his childhood hero who dazzled the young racer with a tough-guy bravado and swashbuckling style.

So when given a chance to pay Foyt the ultimate compliment, Stewart didn't hesitate: He'll use the No. 14 next season in honor of the four-time Indianapolis 500 winner.

"It was pretty easy to decide on the number that my all-time hero had," Stewart said Friday before revealing the two Chevrolets — one sponsored by Office Depot, the other by Old Spice — that he'll drive next season when he leaves Joe Gibbs Racing to move into an ownership role at Stewart-Haas Racing.

Foyt, who was with the IndyCar Series in Edmonton, couldn't be on hand to see Stewart reveal the honor at his beloved homestate track. But in true Foyt fashion, he poked fun at his protege for an altercation Stewart had Thursday night with a USAC official at O'Reilly Raceway Park.

Stewart is believed to have knocked the headset off an official as they argued over a call made against Tracy Hines, who drives for Stewart.

"I talked to him early today and said, 'Just because you've got No. 14 don't mean you had to act like me at (ORP) last night and jerk the headphones off of the steward," Foyt said. "I said, 'Tony, that ain't helping the reputation of 14. That's just living up to it.' "

Aticle continues here....
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 981
Registration date : 2008-07-25

https://thebeltwayforum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Stewart To Use Foyt's No. 14 For Next Season Empty Re: Stewart To Use Foyt's No. 14 For Next Season

Post by King Leonidas Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:08 pm

I like Tony Stewart. It'll be interesting to see how this new team does and how the new car is. Be weird to not see him driving the 20 car though, but it was already weird seeing him in a Toyota instead of a Chevy.

King Leonidas

Number of posts : 207

Back to top Go down

Stewart To Use Foyt's No. 14 For Next Season Empty Re: Stewart To Use Foyt's No. 14 For Next Season

Post by Pale Rider Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:40 pm

King Leonidas wrote:I like Tony Stewart. It'll be interesting to see how this new team does and how the new car is. Be weird to not see him driving the 20 car though, but it was already weird seeing him in a Toyota instead of a Chevy.

No shit... a Toyota. I didn't even know there was a Toyota running in NASCAR until this year.

I love watching the races on the big screen when a local channel broadcasts it in high def and surround sound.
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by King Leonidas Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:45 pm

Yeah, Joe Gibbs Racing went to Toyotas this season and have been running them all year. That's another reason Tony was looking to leave, he wanted to stay in Chevys.

King Leonidas

Back to top Go down

Post by Pale Rider Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:58 pm

King Leonidas wrote:Yeah, Joe Gibbs Racing went to Toyotas this season and have been running them all year. That's another reason Tony was looking to leave, he wanted to stay in Chevys.

Does that mean the car has to have a Toyota engine?
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by King Leonidas Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:14 pm

It's a Toyota Camry, through and through.

King Leonidas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum