The Beltway Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battle Over Confederate Flag Hits Highways

2 posters

Go down

Battle Over Confederate Flag Hits Highways Empty Battle Over Confederate Flag Hits Highways

Post by Pale Rider Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:21 am

Battle Over Confederate Flag Hits Highways

By Patrik Jonsson
Mon Aug 4, 4:00 AM ET

TAMPA, Fla. - Chip Witte doesn't consider himself a Rebel. He doesn't hang Dixie battle flags in his living room, nor does he wear one on the back of his leather jacket.

Yet when the Tampa motorcycle mechanic saw the world's largest Confederate battle flag unfurl above the intersection of I-10 and I-4 in June, he felt a jolt of solidarity with the lost cause and lost rights that he says the battle flag represents. "I think it's great that they're allowed to fly it," says Mr. Witte.

Despite years of boycotts, schoolyard bans, and banishment from capitol domes, the Southern battle colors are flying, higher than ever.

Indeed, the Tampa Confederate Veterans Memorial and its 139-foot flagpole features one of at least four giant "soldier's flags" flying over bumper-to-bumper interstates in Florida and Alabama. With more planned in Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky, and possibly South Carolina, the interstate show of force, experts say, highlights the potential backlash from banning nostalgic symbols from the public square.

Moreover, the giant flags are also the outward sign of a deeper struggle within the Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV), a century-old organization historically more likely to hold battlefield reenactments than to stage political warfare.

Story continues here...
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 981
Registration date : 2008-07-25

https://thebeltwayforum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Battle Over Confederate Flag Hits Highways Empty Re: Battle Over Confederate Flag Hits Highways

Post by Pale Rider Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:23 am

Florida, like Arizona, only requires you have a lisence plate on the rear of your vehicle.

What did I have on the front of my truck? A Confederate Flag plate of course. Long live the south. happy2
Pale Rider
Pale Rider
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 981
Registration date : 2008-07-25

https://thebeltwayforum.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Battle Over Confederate Flag Hits Highways Empty Re: Battle Over Confederate Flag Hits Highways

Post by Southern Man Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:45 pm

I wouldn't have one on my vehicle. I do have an NRA sticker though.
Southern Man
Southern Man

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down