The Beltway Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama Snubs Injured Soldiers for a Workout

3 posters

Go down

Obama Snubs Injured Soldiers for a Workout Empty Obama Snubs Injured Soldiers for a Workout

Post by red states rule Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:20 pm

And this clod wants to be CIC? Time for a workout but not the troops

How typical of this jerk

NewsBusters has learned that presumptive Democrat presidential nominee Barack Obama has cancelled plans to visit two U.S. military bases while in Germany, this despite having all kinds of time to speak to gushing Berliners as well as getting in a workout at the Ritz Carlton.

One of the bases, The Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, "is an overseas military hospital operated by the U.S. Army and the Department of Defense...[that] serves as the nearest treatment center for wounded soldiers coming from Iraq and Afghanistan."

Yet, as Ed Morrissey's Hot Air reported a few hours ago, Spiegel Online claimed at 1:42 PM local time

++ Visit to US Military Bases Cancelled ++

1:42 p.m.: SPIEGEL ONLINE has learned that Obama has cancelled a planned short visit to the Rammstein and Landstuhl US military bases in the southwest German state of Rhineland-Palatinate. The visits were planned for Friday. "Barack Obama will not be coming to us," a spokesperson for the US military hospital in Landstuhl announced. "I don't know why." Shortly before the same spokeswoman had announced a planned visit by Obama.

According to the Chicago Tribune's Jill Zuckman (emphasis added):

A Republican friend of the Swamp helpfully points out that Sen. Barack Obama seems to have time to visit the gym for a workout today, but not to visit the troops during his stay in Germany tomorrow. [...]

Today, however, Obama, just like George W. Bush in the 2000 election, managed to squeeze in some workout time despite a heavy schedule leading up to his big speech at the Siegessäule, or Victory Column, around 7 p.m. Berlin time.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2008/07/24/obama-snubs-injured-soldiers-workout-will-media-care
red states rule
red states rule

Number of posts : 772
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Back to top Go down

Obama Snubs Injured Soldiers for a Workout Empty Re: Obama Snubs Injured Soldiers for a Workout

Post by King Leonidas Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:41 pm

His lame excuse later was that the Pentagon didn't want him to polticize the troops. Funny, the Pentagon seems to like having everyone coming to see the troops, why would they stop Obama?

King Leonidas

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-07-25

Back to top Go down

Obama Snubs Injured Soldiers for a Workout Empty Re: Obama Snubs Injured Soldiers for a Workout

Post by red states rule Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:51 pm

But, DNCTV offered this defense of the messiah

Mitchell: 'Scuttlebutt' Says McCain Sabotaged Obama Military Hospital Visit
By Mark Finkelstein (Bio | Archive)
July 25, 2008 - 07:27 ET

Are reporters in the business of reporting fact or rumor? Andrea Mitchell, for one, doesn't scruple to circulate "scuttlebutt" that if true would be deeply damaging to John McCain.

Barack Obama's cancellation of plans to visit injured military members at bases in Germany has drawn considerable attention and criticism. On today's Morning Joe, Mitchell passed along an Obama-campaign inspired rumor that McCain used his Pentagon connections to sabotage the Obama visit.

Watch the video

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/mark-finkelstein/2008/07/25/mitchell-scuttlebutt-says-mccain-sabotaged-obama-military-hospital
red states rule
red states rule

Back to top Go down

Post by King Leonidas Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:57 pm

Wow, first it's all Bush's fault, now everything will be McCain's fault? What a bunch of whack jobs.

King Leonidas

Back to top Go down

Post by red states rule Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:00 pm

What would have ben the better photo op? Visting the troops or sinking a basket?

Obama made his choice
red states rule
red states rule

Back to top Go down

Post by red states rule Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:17 am

It is about time John

McCain assails snub of troops
Disputes rival's explanation

LONDON | Sen. John McCain's presidential campaign assailed his Democratic rival Saturday for scrapping a stop at a U.S. military hospital in Germany during his nine-day foreign tour.

Mr. McCain himself criticized Sen. Barack Obama for canceling the planned trip to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, and his campaign quickly released an advertisement placing the reversal as the Democratic candidate's latest snub of the U.S. military.

The Obama team has said it canceled the visit after being told by the U.S. military that it was too political, an explanation Mr. McCain scoffed at in an interview with ABC News set to air Sunday on "This Week."

"If I had been told by the Pentagon that I couldn't visit those troops, and I was there and wanted to be there, I guarantee you, there would have been a seismic event," he told ABC.

Obama spokesman Tommy Vietor denounced the McCain team's actions as the work of "an honorable man who is running an increasingly dishonorable campaign."

Also Saturday, Mr. Obama spoke for the first time about his canceled trip, which also was to have taken in Ramstein Air Base.

Mr. Obama told reporters here that while he wasn't sure of every detail, it was not intended as a slight and said he began having second thoughts about the trip after he learned he could not bring along a campaign adviser.

"We were treating it in the same way we treat a visit to Walter Reed, which I was able to do a few weeks ago without any fanfare whatsoever. I was going to be accompanied by one of my advisers, a former military officer, and we got notice that he would be treated as a campaign person, and it would, therefore, be perceived as political because he had endorsed my candidacy, but he wasn't on the Senate staff," Mr. Obama said.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/jul/27/mccain-assails-snub-of-troops/
red states rule
red states rule

Back to top Go down

Post by red states rule Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:08 am

Obama Snubs Injured Soldiers for a Workout Obamas_flag_pin
red states rule
red states rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Southern Man Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:46 pm

I got this relayed to me in an email:

> Hello everyone,
>
> As you know I am not a very political person. I just wanted to pass
> along
> that Senator Obama came to Bagram Afghanistan for about an hour on his
> visit to "The War Zone". I wanted to share with you what happened. He
> got
> off the plane and got into a bullet proof vehicle, got to the area to
> meet
> with the Major General (2 Star) who is the commander here at Bagram.
>
> As the Soldiers where lined up to shake his hand he blew them off and
> didn't say a word as he went into the conference room to meet the
> General.
> As he finished, the vehicles took him to the ClamShell (pretty much a
> big
> top tent that military personnel can play basketball or work out in with
> weights) so he could take his publicity pictures playing basketball. He
> again shunned the opportunity to talk to Soldiers to thank them for
> their
> service.
>
> So really he was just here to make a showing for the American's back
> home
> that he is their candidate for President. I think that if you are going
> to
> make an effort to come all the way over here you would thank those that
> are
> providing the freedom that they are providing for you.
>
> I swear we got more thanks from the NBA Basketball Players or the Dallas
> Cowboy Cheerleaders than from one of the Senators, who wants to be the
> President of the United States. I just don't understand how anyone would
> want him to be our Commander-and-Chief. It was almost that he was scared
> to
> be around those that provide the freedom for him and our great country.
>
> If this is blunt and to the point I am sorry but I wanted you all to
> know
> what kind of caliber of person he really is. What you see in the news is
> all fake.
>
> In service,
> CPT Jeffrey S. Porter
> Battle Captain
> TF Wasatch
> American Soldier
Southern Man
Southern Man

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by King Leonidas Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:04 pm

It was all a photo op, did people actually expect that he would want to talk with them. They might tellhim what an idiot he is. Can't have that.

King Leonidas

Back to top Go down

Post by red states rule Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:41 pm

King Leonidas wrote:It was all a photo op, did people actually expect that he would want to talk with them. They might tellhim what an idiot he is. Can't have that.

The messaih had to ask himself:

Well no cameras allowed at the hospital so no photo op visitng wounded troops

On the other hand, pics of me shooting baskets would be great PR

Well, fuck the troops and I am will make a couple of slam dunks
red states rule
red states rule

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down